Wednesday, August 22, 2012

August 23, 2012

One prevailing thought clouds my mind as I sit here this evening.  Part of my reading tonight took me to yet another statement by an Xtian declaring that Atheists reach their non-belief as a result of being hurt by the church in their past.  I hear this all the time when receiving a "rebuttal" from a person of Faith.  This raises a question:

"Why would you come to the conclusion that I have been hurt by your loving, all-accepting religion, unless you are conceding that your church routinely hurts people?"

Chew on that for a while...

And then consider that I have NOT been hurt by the church.  Sure, I went to church with some assholes as a kid.  Yes, I was treated badly by them, outcast and called names.  The church is absolutely filled with these kinds of hypocrites.  Of that there is no doubt. 

BUT, consider the amount of people who still seek a relationship with God even though they know the church they attend does not accept them for who they are.  If you are right that I am an Atheist because I have been hurt by the church, then by that same reasoning all gay people should be Atheist.  Why?  Because your precious Book condemns us to the Fiery Pit.  Yet, this is not so.  Many gay people still seek a relationship with an unseen force.

No, friends, I am not an Atheist because I was hurt by all of you.  Stop being so conceited as to think that you have that kind of power over me!

I am an Atheist because I have looked at History.  I have read about where your religions and your gods started, and by whom.  I have looked at the scientific record of our earthly home.

It is because of these things that I reject your gods.  And I am happy.  Happier than I have ever been.  I have no fear of death, and no fear of any after life (or the consequences of being wrong about my choice of gods.)  I live my life believing in the humanity of people, and the scientific explanations behind the things we do.  Life is finite, and I therefore love completely and treasure each moment with my fellow beings. 

Love...

No comments:

Post a Comment