Tuesday, August 14, 2012

August 14, 2012

When I first moved to NYC, I started a diary of funny things that I saw/overheard on the Subway.  I was reminded of this by a funny incident on my way to work last night.  A young girl was sitting on the train with her parents standing near her.  After a few moments of silence after their arrival in the car, the mother spoke up.

"There is to be no surfing on the train.  It is the parent's responsibility to tell their children.  It says so on the back of the card."

The father chimed in, and the daughter eventually replied, "What is surfing on the train?"  A short discussion followed, wherein I believe the parents misinformed her that it was surfing on TOP of the train.  New Yorkers will know that it is actually holding onto the outside of the car door-frame as the train leaves the station.  (Anyone dumb enough to try this deserves their fate, which I suppose would be certain death.)

I had started to giggle to myself over their conversation already, when the daughter said, "I guess you should have known that I wouldn't have a clue as to what that was!"

Probably not the funniest exchange I've ever heard, but it did make me giggle over my game of Moon Chaser out loud, making the young woman next to me giggle as well.  Rare train moments...

So, my birthday turned out as predicted.  Work, then sleep, then... awake for a few hours until work the next morning.  I was dog-sitting for Caren for the weekend, so I went to take care of Pebbles, and then headed to Shanna's Birthday BBQ in BK.  It was quite lovely, and I met some new friends as well as catching up with a few old ones as well.  HOWEVER, it caused me to stay up through my ENTIRE bedtime on Saturday.  I made it to bed just as I should have been waking... 

The next day was my Birthday Brunch with Kellee and Kim.  A nice outing to Blockhead's for Bulldogs and Burritos.  Mmmm.  Then Kim and I headed home to move furniture around in the apartment, and I was finally able to head to bed at Caren's with Pebbles at 5:30pm where I slept 12 hours.  Needless to say that by the time Monday afternoon rolled around I only slept 4 hours, and am kind of in misery right now...  Ah well.  That's what Birthdays are for, yes?

Now that Kim and I are in the larger bedroom I can get my stuff out of storage, buy a desk and a bed and hopefully get my life in order.  Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment